Tuesday, September 09, 2008

SOTD: Bois des Iles

Few fragrance houses do I associate with a specific art movement, but Chanel's early creations Bois des Iles, Chanel N.5, and Chanel N.22 immediately for me bring to mind the Art Deco movement. Maybe it is not so odd considering these masterpieces of fragrance were created during the time of this movement; I wonder is it possible to have Art Deco fragrances? But as I think of it more, I think I associate aldehydes with Art Deco, consider Baghari which was originally created in 1951 which when I smell I always get an Art Deco image in my head. What makes Bois des Iles even more intriguing to me is that to my nose is that it is the most magical and natural smelling of Chanel's fragrances, two descriptions I do not usually associate with Chanel.

6 comments:

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Jena- I am so envious of your perfume collection! I aspire to be able to wear a scent of the day like you one day. It's funny you mention Art Deco- I was just speaking with Rose about the same thing. We were saying we love to watch Agatha Christie's Poirot with David Suchet because of the Art Deco architecture and clothing etc. It's such a glamorous and chic movement- I must try Bois des Iles for this very reason!

Unknown said...

I highly recommend you try Bois des Iles and Chanel 22. I love that Art Deco is now entering fashion, I got this great Art Deco styled jacket from the GAP, that I can't wait to wear. I'll have to take a look at the Poirot series for style. Another excellent series just to watch for style is Mad Men. Also I have Miss Pettegrew Lives For A Day; which appears to have an Art Deco type of style going on. I also highly recommend Chinatown.

ScentScelf said...

Flat out, I love Bois des Iles. My passion for it has survived my learning curve thus far, having captured my interest early on, and my precious decant tossing back the love every time I've visited. No matter the weather, my mood, what have you.

And I, like you, think of it as a "natural" Chanel; you are right, it is unusual among Chanels in that respect. And yet, it intellectually rests high up, approaching ethereal. I love the story of its association with Tchaikovsky; whether or not that is true, I know it was the perfect scent for me to wear when I played a performance of Tchaik last year.

(Bringing up another Bois des Iles advantage...it does not invade your neighbor's space....)

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day was such a beautiful film! The clothing and sets and jewelery- everything was amazing... art deco heaven! Love Chinatown too for the very same reason.

Unknown said...

Scenscelf,
What is its story with Tchaifovsy (sp)?! It really is wonderfully intellectual, but not cold in fact quite the opposite.

ScentScelf said...

The story is that Ernest Beaux composed the perfume either inspired by the now not well-known Tchaikovsky opera, The Queen of Spades, which in turn was based on a Pushkin story. It all becomes very Russian in lineage/inspiration/artist...

Yes, Bois des Iles is rather like my favorite kind of intelligence: depth if you look, grounded in nature, and always pleasant to be around. :)