Monday, September 29, 2008

Enjoying re-interpretation: David Bowie's Life on Mars

If I ever wrote my own biography, I would probably steal the title of David Bowie's "Life on Mars" for the title of my biography. I should mention now that I am a huge David Bowie fan; this explains Labyrinth even more. The irony of this was I wasn't aware of "Life on Mars" until I heard the beautiful cover by Anggun. This cover also spurred my love of hearing re-interpretations of a song that can happen through covers. So my offering today is three variations on David Bowie's "Life on Mars" done in the chronologie that I heard them.
Anggun's interpretation, live:

David Bowie's interpretation, in all its 1970's glory:

Seu Jorge's beautiful acoustic Portuguese version, I originally heard it from the movie, "The Life Aquatic of Steve Zissou", by the way this guy has a gorgeous voice:


Anggun video uploaded by sgtcheeseberry
David Bowie video uploaded by Darknessanddisgrace
Seu Jorge video uploaded by bloggocentricidades

4 comments:

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Wow- it's rare that I like re-interpretations as much as the original but these two are fab! I really love the Portuguese version... I can picture listening to that over a lovely dinner al fresco. (I love playing Brazilian music at dinner parties for some reason :)

Love starting my day with music... Thanks!

Unknown said...

Daily, that is exactly how I feel about the Portuguese version, it is wonderfully relaxing and conducive to a thoughtful good mood. Glad you enjoyed the music. I enjoy the Brazilian music I have heard a great deal.

ScentScelf said...

They're all beautiful. Now, to assign scents to each version... ;)

Unknown said...

Interesting idea scentscelf.
Anggun- SJP Lovely (Because to my nose and I wore it a while this was a lovely gray musk, the greyness going well with the song.)
Bowie-?
Jorge-Angelique Encens (sort of a meditatively sad variation).