Monday, September 08, 2008

SOTD: Ambre Russe

Today I am going with the wonderfully sensual Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire. It has been a long time since I fell really hard for an amber fragrance, it was my first love, and sadly over the years it has fallen out of favor with my skin becoming drier, and the ambers that I adored ending up getting a strange overly sweet tar note in the dry down that I hated. In fact within the last months I swapped those ambers out (Anne Pliska, L'Occitane Amber, Sage Machado Amber) and the irony is I have once again found an amber to love which actually features a note that usually turns into pure curry sweat on me: cumin. I can't get over just how gorgeous this scent is while being incredibley rich, sensual, and extravagent it is also wonderfully wearable. I suspect I really need a bottle of this.
image provided by artnet.com
image: The Sleeping Beauty by William Arthur Breakspeare

6 comments:

Anne said...

You know Anne Pliska got weird on me too. Went way to creamsickle, with amber far in the background. I am a not recoverable amber-holic. My favorite - Ambergris Amber and Diamont Noir. Have you tried it?

ScentScelf said...

Ah...amber. Amber is generally to my nose as ice cream is to my tongue: relaxed happy pleasure. I have not tried this particular scent...in fact, Parfum d'Empire is not a line I can recall experiencing at all.

(Yup, checked the spreadsheet...not there. Oh what a geek I've become.... ;) )

Glad that weather, and happy weather at that, has replaced car as top news of the week.

Unknown said...

5spice6,
Never tried the Ambergris Amber and Diamont Noir, I will have to put them on my to try list. I wish I had gotten the creamsicle effect.

Unknown said...

scentscelf,
I highly recommend you check out the Parfum d'Empire line, they are fast becoming one of my favorite niche houses (I also adore their Osmanthus Interdite). You might find their Equistrus, an iris scent interesting, the Fougere Bengal is an intense immortelle and gingerbread scent. Overall I have been impressed. They also have a leather called Cuir Ottoman. I have not tried. You are so not a dork; I actually have a note book and I have three files based on samples, decants, and full bottles.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Ooh- must order a sample of this one! Wasn't aware that the dryness of the skin could affect the scent of the dry down so much...

Unknown said...

The pH and dryness of your skin can really play havoc with a scent, what may be agreeable on a friend, can be disastrous on you.