Monday, August 25, 2008

SOTD: Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Today is the first day of school, I was tempted to go with my now usual serene scents: Bois des Iles or Infusino d'Iris, but my yearning for Autumn and knowing the tempeture would be warm, I have instead chosen, the smoky gingery beauty of Serge Luten's Five O'Clock Au Gingembre, which is wonderful addition to the family of gourmands. I will say this now but I think this scent would be incredible as a candle. As for the actually scent, I am utterly intrigued by his use of smoky tea, I first I would say it was the Chinese Lapsang Souchong, but the smoke has a hint of electric quality to it that reminds me of the smoky blend Russian Caravan, mixed with the stem ginger opening, it provides a complete picture of a moment. I want to try this scent later on in the year with a plate of homemade pain d'epice, stem ginger preserves, possibly a chunk of good local dark chocolate, and a cup of smoky creamy Russian Caravan tea. All I need is for the weather to change and steal my dad's spice grinder.
image provided by artnet.com
image: The English tea pot by Johan de Fre

2 comments:

Divina said...

I *totally* agree that this would make a great candle! (it is not my favorite as a skin scent however) Do you also find similarities between this and Let it Rock?

As for school...argh! Uni starts again on the 2nd of Sep. and I have to write a paper before that... Profs are still on vacay and emails w/ questions are left unanswered. Niiiiice. Just..kill me...

Unknown said...

I wish I could say if I could tell the similiarities between Gingembre and Let It Rock, but Vivienne's fragrances take forever to get to the US, and the last one immediately went to the discounters. As for Gingembre I completely adore the opening and middle, but I just don't know how I feel about the drydown, it turns into a nutty slightly smoky patchouli, amber, vanilla mix that I already get from quite a few fragrances.

And Argh to school! My professor already had us reading before the actual Uni began (technically she can't do that). Still I'm lucky not to be writing an actual paper.

Also, hopefully your insomnia goes away.