Thursday, November 13, 2008

What's been on my mind the last few days....

Okay so my current obsession with puppies continues (Daily you are so lucky! Your Gatsby is absolutely adorable) this time I am utterly enamoured with the puppycam, http://cdn1.ustream.tv/swf/4/viewer.45.swf?cid=317016 which is a live stream of shiba inu puppies, seriously I had never heard of this breed before, but now I find myself adoring them for their shear roly-poly furriness, they are so ridonkulosly cute!

And now to more intellectual matters, I am finally reading Italo Calvino, specifically Invisible Cities, for years I have told myself to pick up one of his books, and I even own a copy of The Baron in the Trees but was never able to get into it. Invisible Cities so far is proving to be very interesting although catagorized as a novel it really is a meditation/poetry on the idea of what a city is. The language is beautiful and just draws you in and beautifully allows you to see all of Calvino's many imaginary cities. On a funny scented note everytime I read the Kublai Khan picking up his amber pipe, I think of the scent of Hermes' Ambre Narguile.
image provided by artnet.com
image: Face Repugnance by Cristina Vergano

2 comments:

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Invisible cities sounds fascinating... I must put that on my reader list...

Unknown said...

Daily, I just finished it today and I recommend you go get it. Utterly beautiful and fascinating.