Wednesday, August 05, 2009

SOTD: Mure et Musc by L'Artisan

L'Artisan's Mure et Musc is an originator scent, if you love Trish McEvoy's No. 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk or Philosophy's Falling In Love you better give this fragrance some thanks, well at least the original version. I few years ago I received a decant of Mure et Musc and truthfully I am not all that impressed and from what I understand there is good reason: L'Artisan at some point reformulated it. What I smell now is a somewhat dirty citrus musk, clean and not clean at the same time, the barest hint of blackberry, and overall it has a masculine edge. Another musk to take into consideration from the berry musk category is Montale's Fruits of The Musk, pumped full of berries and roses this musk is absolutely luscious. While I love that L'Artisan helped to create the category of blackberry musks I'm just not in love with this originator.

image provided by artnet.com
image: Nido d'Aprile by Piero Gilardi

2 comments:

Rose said...

it's true L'Artisan are innovators and perhaps don't get the credit outside the perfume world they might. I'm certain most of the girls wearing falling in love don't know MEM. I like it but I don't love it, but that may because I never got to smell the original. Reformulation sucks and it's going to get worse and worse.

Unknown said...

Reformulation sucks on so many levels the worse part is they are doing it and not telling us.